Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Random Ramblings

It was nice seeing Di last week Thursday. She got to meet Justin and we(Soraya and Alex were with us too) all had lunch at the Red Hawk Grill. Made me really miss the family and all our crazy gatherings. I was supposed to see her last weekend but that ended up failing because I lost my phone. Which I did end up finding again. But I missed work because of it(forgot I had to work Sunday. I was sad I missed it!).


Justin and I went to the Detroit Zoo last week Wednesday. It was alot of fun. I liked the butterfly room the most :) It's pretty much a greenhouse that people can walk through and there are SO MANY butterflies. It was really pretty. The butterfly greenhouse was followed by one for birds(of course they were sepparated because the butterflies probably wouldn't survive very long), which was also very cool to walk through. I saw some trees in there that I recognize from Surinam. Like the Amandelboom. I thought that was pretty cool.
After that we went to see the penguins. They were really funny to watch waddle around. Seriously fast swimmers though. I couldn't help but laugh when I watched one of them struggle to stand up when it got out of the water. It was cute. hahaha.
We visited the amphibians after that. It was SO cool seeing all the frogs and lizards and fish(thought I don't think they are amphibians). I even saw a Surinamese Toad! So COOL!(yet SO gross!!) Unfortunately, while I was walking through that exibit, I stumbled upon a cockroach(probably food for the sloth that was in the exibit as well), and almost ran out screaming. But don't worry. I kept my cool and just walked away. hahah. The lung fish were really strange and the frogs even weirder. The snakes and alligators were really cool in the reptile house. We got to watch some of the snakes eat mice and stuff. There were some turtles in there too, but didn't interest me as much.
I recognized some animals like the Capibara and the Pakira and some not so much. I didn't even know some existed. hahaha. I thought the hippos and rhinos were HUGE! The rhinos are SO rediculously big. I was really impressed. The Giraffes were really cool too. We saw an ex-circus bear named Polly. She really seemed to love the attention we were giving her. She was sitting at the ledge shaking her head at us. It was cute.
There was a cute deer sitting by the sprinkler enjoying the water. I thought he looked really goofy. I saw a Prezewalski(one of the wild breed of horse) and Zebra's which was pretty cool. There was a rescued thoroughbred in one of the small exibits that was rescued after he couldn't race anymore.
I wasn't too interested in the monkeys. Thay are really strange and one was sitting at the window people watching...it was creepy.
We moved on to the arctic region. Starting with the Arctic Foxes. They were very strange and funny. Aparently in the summer and spring they shed their white coat for a grey/black/brown one to blend in with the folliage and grow it back in the winter when it snaws. I never knew that. Oh, the wonders of life. One of the zoo keepers came by and threw some paper bags in there filled with hay. She said it was for thier entertainment. They throw in bags with food or toys sometimes as well. The seals were really cool and we got to walk through underwater tunnels to watch them swim. It started raining by the time we got there. I wasn't too happy about that. The polar bears were there too and they are not as white as I always imagined they would be. lol
The last few animals we walked by were the otters, camels, and we stopped by the butterfly exibit one last time. Then went to the gift store and bought a few things...you know... to support the zoo :)
Besides all the animals in the exibit, we saw a bunch of ducks, squirrels, rabbits, and peacocks roaming around the zoo. It was funny watching one of the peacocks fighting with a water bottle machine.

Oh, and I had to ride the hippo in front of the Zoo before I left. HAHAHA

We were planning on going to the Petting Zoo today, but decided against it because it might rain. So maybe saturday :)

I think I am done for tonight and REALLY need to go to bed of I will be late tomorrow morning for work. YaY Jimmy John's!!

Tons of Love!
Cute Deer Sitting in the sprinklers

No comments:

Post a Comment